Friday 15 February 2013

Max Payne 3

In complete contrast to Arkham City, Max Payne 3 is a game that does almost everything wrong, but it somehow works. The developers obviously had a very strong and clear vision of the game they wanted to build.
So we have a game that has:

  • Ridiculously excessive cut-scenes; felt like I spent more time watching than playing!
  • Massive over-use of visual distortion to demonstrate Max's drinking and drug-use
  • Completely linear game-play; absolutely no deviation from the pre-ordained path
  • An unpleasant and unlikeable lead character
  • A plot worthy of a low-budget Steven Seagal movie
And yet, I really enjoyed it. I didn't feel the need to go exploring a huge open world - it made a nice change to just shoot the baddies as the game lined them up. 
I think I'd probably get bored of it quite quickly - I wouldn't want to play too many games like this - but it was definitely fun while it lasted. Which is more than I can say for Arkham City.

Oh, and Max spent half the game looking like Walter White, so that was cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment