Friday 8 March 2013

The Witcher (Enhanced Edition)

This is how RPGs should be done.
A fairly big, open, world - but not so big and empty you feel like you're walking for ever.
A main plot-line that drives the game and carries on throughout, rather than just being an elongated side-quests.
Side quests that feel like they actually contribute something - some are interesting in their own right, otherwise actually contribute to the main story in unexpected ways.
Plenty to do, without overwhelming you with a huge number of meaningless side-quests.

OK - it's not perfect.
I could, personally, have lived without the in-game sex scenes. I understand this is close to the original books and some were important and relevant to the plot, but much of it just seemed a bit gratuitous.
The combat, being objective, was really just a long sequence of QTEs - but for that still felt more engaging and satisfying than Skyrim.

I suppose the key facts are I put almost 50 hours into The Witcher in less than 3 weeks (compared to around 120 over a year for Skyrim). Having finished it, I then went straight into the (bundled) DLC for another few hours and am now moving on to The Witcher 2 - Assassin of Kings.
It's pretty much unprecedented for me to bother with DLC at all and I usually need a fairly lengthy break before playing sequels.

It's probably close, but I think this has taken the title of my favourite fantasy RPG from Dragon Age: Origins. We'll see how the sequels (and Dark Souls) compare over the next few months :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment